Prune, Peanuts and Pea: Energy Balls for the Open-minded
What do you make when you're trying to eat healthy snacks, you want to keep everything moving AND make sure you get a protein hit after the gym or yoga...?
Well, enter the slightly odd sounding combination of peas and prunes.
Prunes: infamous for helping you go to the loo, but not so well-known for their high anti-oxidant properties. They're also really high in fibre (hence the laxative effect), full of energy but, won't spike your blood sugar. Sounds like a pruney dream right there. Perfect in puddings because they're sweeter than sweet; I was super keen to blitz these into feel-good treat.
So protein from peas hey. Well for the full low-down I recommend reading this article from Dr Axe here. In short, it's a complete protein, contains all of the essential amino acids, is gluten and dairy free, lowers blood pressure AND regluates blood sugar levels. (It's also very reasonably priced in our shop and organic too!)
PRUNE & PEA BALLS
- 1 cup of pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup pea protein powder
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 tbsp peanut or almond butter
- 1 - 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- dessicated coconut to decorate
- place all ingredients except the maple syrup & coconut oil into a blender
- pulse until well combined
- add maple syrup & coconut oil
- roll into balls with your palms
- coat in dessicated coconut
These taste delicious. Recipe makes about 10 balls. I stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days and they still tasted great.